Fellowship Training, University of Washington, Pediatic Hematology and Oncology, 2000.
Fellowship Training, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Pediatic Hematology and Oncology, 2000.
Residency Training, Johns Hopkins Hospitals, Pediatrics, 1997.
M.D., Wayne State University, 1994.
Ph.D., University of Michigan, Pharmacology/Protein Biochemistry, 1990.
A. Clinical Expertise:
- Identification and therapy of high-risk leukemias
- Management of post transplant relapse in childhood leukemias
- Stem cell transplantation in leukemias
- Therapy of relapsed AML
- Targeted therapy in pediatric AML
B. Laboratory Interests:
Genomic alterations in AML and their role in the Pathogenesis of AML
- Biologic implications of disease associated mutations in AML
- Prelavence and clinical significance of FLT3 and other RTK mutations in AML
- Biologic consequence of RTK mutations in normal and malignant hematopoiesis
- TARGET (Therapeutically Applicable Research to Generate Effective Treatments) Initiative, seeks to identify valid therapeutic targets so that new, more effective treatments can be developed for children with cancer. AML is one of the 5 diseases selected for comprehensive mutli-platform genomic and epi-genomic evaluation to identify biomarkers associated with disease outcome as well those who are viable candidates for targeted therapy. As part of this initiative, several hundred specimens from children with AML will undergo whole genome, whole transcriptome and exome capture sequencing to identify disease associated alterations. Upstream gene, transcript, methylation and miRNA profiling will be performed for integration with the sequencing data. Identified biomarkers will be rapidly validated and translated into clinical application.
Identification of novel markers of high risk disease in AML.
- Using state of the art molecular biologic techniques putative high risk markers are being identified and validated in a large cohort of pediatric and adult AML patients. This information will be used to create a patient-specific risk profile to be used in treatment assignment
Minimal Residual Disease (MRD) as a marker of high-risk disease in Pediatric AML
- Evaluation of flow cytometric evidence of MRD and its correlation with outcome
- Evaluation of molecular evidence of MRD and correlation with outcome
- Stem Cell origin of myeloid leukemias and role of RTK mutations in the evolution of AML
- Role of activating mutations of the signal transduction pathway in myeloid malignancies
Reading, Writing, Speaking
Farsi: Functional, Functional, Fluent
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Society of Hematology
Children's Oncology Group Myeloid Disease Committee
Childrens Oncology Group
Honors and Awards
Jose Carrera's International Leukemia Fellow, Jose Carrera's Leukemia Foundation, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Molecular Pathogenesis of FLT3 Mutations in AML
Child Health Research Center Scholar, National Institutes of Health (NIH), University of Washington
COG Young Investigator Award, Childrens Oncology Group
Acting Instructor, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Assistant Professor and Attending Physician, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
Assistant Member, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Clinical Research Division, Pediatric Oncology/Stem Cell Transplantation
Assistant Professor, University of Washington, School of Medicine, Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation
A model for prediction of FLT3-ITD and NPM1 (without FLT3-ITD) positivity in patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukaemia.. British journal of haematology. 163(1):130-2.. 2013.
Somatic characterization of pediatric acute myeloid leukemia using next-generation sequencing.. Seminars in hematology. 50(4):325-32.. 2013.
Significance of expression of ITGA5 and its splice variants in acute myeloid leukemia: A report from the children's oncology group.. American journal of hematology.. 2013.
Clinical Significance of CD33 Nonsynonymous Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms in Pediatric Patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treated with Gemtuzumab-Ozogamicin-Containing Chemotherapy.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 19(6):1620-1627.. 2013.
Hematopoietic cell transplantation in high-risk childhood acute myelogenous leukemia.. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 19(7):1002-3.. 2013.
High expression of neutrophil elastase predicts improved survival in pediatric acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the Children's Oncology Group.. Leukemia & lymphoma. 54(1):202-204.. 2013.
The prognostic significance of IRF8 transcripts in adult patients with acute myeloid leukemia.. PloS one. 8(8):e70812.. 2013.
Proteomic Classification of Acute Leukemias by Alignment-Based Quantitation of LC-MS/MS Data Sets.. Journal of proteome research. 11(10):5005-10.. 2012.
Lessons learned from the investigational device exemption review of Children's Oncology Group trial AAML1031.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 18(6):1547-54.. 2012.
Transplantation for AML in children.. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 18(1 Suppl):S33-9.. 2012.
Children's Oncology Group's 2013 blueprint for research: Acute myeloid leukemia.. Pediatric blood & cancer.. 2012.